Cumberland County, NC
Type Department: Municipal
ISO: Class 2
Number of Stations: 1
Number of Apparatus: Pumpers: 4 Aerials: 2 Specialty: 5
Do you provide EMS? Yes
What type: BLS
• Land Search
• Water Rescue
• Underwater Search & Recovery
• The department also operates a dedicated Traffic Incident Management System (TIMS) unit.
Annual Budget: $2.8 million
Area Covered Square miles: 10
Population: 20,000 +
Total Runs: (2021) 2,136
Chief: Charles L. Hodges, Fire Chief
Chief Officers: Charles S. Lopez, Deputy Chief / Justin B. Smith Asst. Chief / Wayne E. Dutterer, Asst. Chief
Other Officers: 1-Fire Marshal / 3- Captains / 3-Lieutenants
Number of Members: Paid: 37 Volunteer: 10
Address: 5788 Rockfish Road
Hope Mills, NC 28348
Web site: townofhopemills.com
Community Outreach: The department attends a variety of community events to spread the Fire and Life safety message including but not limited to:
• Fire & Safety education in schools, daycares, civic organizations, and the general public.
• Neighborhood canvassing for smoke detectors (with a focus on low income and senior populations)
• Fire Extinguisher training for businesses and residents.
• Citizen’s Academy
• Future plans are to implement first aid and CPR training to the public and a Kids Fire Academy
Top Two concerns in your community: Rapid Growth / Traffic
What upgrades will you make in your department this year? The department will be moving into a new 46,000 sq. ft. Public Safety Center (fire & Police) at the end of 2022.
What special hazards or unique businesses in your community?
• Railway for both Passengers & Freight
• The flight path for both Military & Civilian Aircraft
• 16-Shopping Complexes
• 7-public Schools
• 30-Apartment Complexes
• 14-Screen Movie Theater
• 400+ -Businesses
• 95-acre Recreational Lake.
• 45,000 sq. ft. indoor Trampoline Park
• 97-acre Greenway Recreational Area
List anything else you are proud of and would like the readers to know about, are you doing anything special in Recruitment, Retention, or anything unique other departments could benefit from: The Hope Mills Fire Department is the second oldest, continually operating fire department and 1 of 3 municipal departments in Cumberland County NC. Due to our proximity to Fort Bragg, our population is made up of approximately 63% active-duty military. The department operates 2-Engine Companies, 1-Ladder Company, and 1-Fire / Rescue Squad 24/7/365. Through mutual and automatic aid contracts, the Hope Mills Fire Department responds to assist other agencies anywhere in Cumberland County including the City of Fayetteville, Town of Spring Lake, and Fort Bragg; due to our geographical location, our department also responds into portions of Robeson and Hoke Counties to assist as well.