Department Name: Greenville City Fire Department
Number of Apparatus: 12 front line Pumpers: 7 Aerials: 2 Specialty: 3
Do you provide EMS? YES
What type: BLS
Specialty Operations: The Greenville Fire Department provides fire suppression, technical rescue, hazardous materials response, emergency medical services, fire prevention, and community risk reduction programs.
Annual Budget: 16.7 Million
Area Covered Square miles: 28
Population: 65,245 plus. In addition to its residential population, Greenville also welcomes more than 2.6 million visitors each year and more than 122,000 workers are dispersed across three million square feet of office space within a five-mile radius of Greenville’s downtown.
Total Runs: 10,674 Fire: 3,724 EMS: 6,950
Chief: Stephen Kovalcik
Deputy Chief: Brian Horton
Fire Marshal: Tristian Johnson
Training Chief: David Kerns
Chief Medical Coordinator: Kevin Crosby
Special Operations Chief: Kevin Henson
Assistant Chief: Richard Williams
Assistant Chief: Jamie Pimlott
Assistant Chief: Mark Jones
Battalion Chief: Mike Marlow
Battalion Chief: Aaron Spring
Battalion Chief: James Smith
Other Officers: Captains: 12 Lieutenants: 30 Specialists: 24
Number of Members: 161
Address: 10 Watson Aviation Road,
Greenville, SC 29607
Community Outreach: Full Time Community Risk Reduction Coordinator with CRR initiatives to include education, prevention and mitigation.
Top Two concerns in your community: Life Safety and Property Conservation
What upgrades will you make in your department this year?
- Open new Fire Station 3
- Develop ALS Program
- New Mobile Command Post
- New Training Center Classroom Facility
What special hazards or unique businesses in your community?
- Central Business District — three million square feet of office space within a five-mile radius of Greenville’s downtown.
- Greenville Downtown Airport
- Norfolk Southern Rail Yard
- Three hospitals
- Major Interstates: Interstate 85 runs through the south side of the city. Two interstate spurs, I-385 and I-185 feed travelers into the downtown area.
- Two large event arenas and a 300,000+ sq. ft. convention center
- The city is also home to several colleges and universities:
Bob Jones University
Greenville Technical College
North Greenville University
University of South Carolina School of Medicine at Greenville Health System
Clemson University’s International Center for Automotive Research
What problems in your department would you like feedback from others?
- Ongoing hazard and risk assessment
- The department is preparing for its’ next three year strategic plan and will be soliciting input from both internal and external stakeholders.
List an accomplishment:
CFAI – International Accredited Agency