August 13 2019


North Carolina and South Carolina Fire Incidents

CarolinaFireJournal -

08/13/2019 -

Shleby: Grant will allow trainees to fight virtual fires

Local firefighter trainees will soon have the chance to fight virtual fires. The Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation has awarded the Cleveland Community College Foundation the BullEx ATTACK Digital Fire Trainer's Package valued at approximately $25,000. The equipment creates real-life scenarios with the touch of a button on a remote control. The device produces a regulated amount of smoke and uses sound effects and flames on a screen for training. Instructors can set the level of difficulty. The CCC Foundation submitted a grant request for the equipment to enhance the hands-on instruction associated with the Fire Protection Technology degree offered through the Firefighter Academy at Cleveland Community College. CCC's Brown Emergency Training Center currently houses a two-story burn building with basement and a drill tower, with the second and third floors laid out as apartments.  

SHELBY STAR  

image

Bombs delivered to Wayne County fire station

Firefighters at a local fire station found two bombs on their doorstep Sunday afternoon. "An individual transported two items to the Dudley Volunteer Fire Department," requesting to turn the items over to the station around 2 p.m., said Maj. Richard Lewis with the Wayne County Sheriff's Office. "Upon the members of the fire department viewing the items, which had been laid down at the entrance door of the fire station, they recognized the two item(s) as being potential explosive devices." The fire department called the Wayne County Sheriff's Office. The deputies "also recognized the items as potential explosive devices," Lewis said in a release. "The Explosive Ordinance Disposal team from Seymour Johnson Air Force Base and the Bomb Team with the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation were notified and responded. These two teams worked together and both confirmed the items were manufactured to indicate they were explosive in nature."  

MOUNT OLIVE TRIBUNE

 

Apex man charged with starting house fire that injured first responder, documents say

A Wake County man is charged with starting a house fire last week that injured a Cary firefighter, according to documents obtained Monday. Charles Lamont King, 51, of Apex was arrested Sunday afternoon in connection with the Aug. 8 fire. King is accused of setting fire to a home located along the 8100 block of Smith Road in Apex, warrants say. The house was unoccupied at the time of the fire. The Cary firefighter suffered burns while fighting the fire that required him to be hospitalized, court documents say. King is being held on a $100,000 bond and is due in court Monday. If King posts bail, he can not have any contact with the resident the home he is charged with lighting on fire, warrants say.  

CBS17  

 

Follow-up: Durham Fire Department releases findings in report on deadly downtown gas explosion

The City of Durham Fire Department said Friday that the April 10 downtown gas explosion that killed two people and injured 25 was ruled accidental. The department released its Origin and Cause Investigation Report about the deadly explosion Friday afternoon. The report follows a three-month investigation in which more than 25 people were interviewed, and numerous processes, 911 calls, and videotapes were examined and reviewed. The first 911 call reporting a smell of gas occurred at approximately 9:11 a.m. by a woman who was driving in the area. Key investigation findings in the report revealed that the explosion occurred at 115 North Duke Street when "an explosive atmosphere was created when a gas service line was struck during a horizontal boring operation.  

WWAY-TV ABC 3 WILMINGTON  

 

Sweet potato material sparks dryer fire at Farmville plant

Six fire departments responded to a fire at a Farmville plant Monday all thanks to sweet potatoes. Five Pitt County agencies and a department from Greene County responded to a fire at the Natural Blend facility in Farmville just before 1:00 p.m. The plant makes sweet potato based products and firefighters say that a commercial dryer ignited some of the sweet potato material. Nobody was injured and employees were evacuated as a precaution. The six volunteer departments responded to make sure there were enough resources to contain the fire. Farmville Fire Chief Tommy Brady says, "With it being a hot day, with it being a large commercial structure and being a volunteer based department we have requested mutual aid aspects from our neighboring departments to bring in extra personnel for manpower." The factory was the site of a silo fire that burned for several weeks back in 2015.  

WITN-TV NBC 7 GREENVILLE  

 

Multiple agencies looking into cause of Calabash house fire

Multiple agencies have been called to assist with an investigation into the cause of a fire early Sunday morning in which the Brunswick County Sheriff's Office says is ‘suspicious' in nature. Someone called Brunswick County 911 to report a fire at 1084 High Point Avenue in Calabash around 3:33 a.m. When Calabash fire crews arrived, the structure was completely engulfed with flames. Brunswick County Fire Marshal Andrew Thompson said no one was inside the rental property at the time and no injuries were reported. He said the property was a total loss. According to the Brunswick County Tax Administration Office, Sandra Renae Quinn of Wilmington owns the home and it has an assessed tax value of $123,800.  

WWAY-TV ABC 3 WILMINGTON  

 

 

Myrtle Beach Fire Department rescues person stuck in submerged car

VIDEO: A person in Myrtle Beach has firefighters to thank for a quick water rescue. The Myrtle Beach Fire Department posted video on its Facebook page of the rescue. The car was submerged in a pond off Jetport Road near the Myrtle Beach Airport around 4:30 Saturday afternoon. The department said Lt. Scott Ordway and Engineer Gary Duesler jumped in and saved the person. The person was taken to a hospital for further treatment. The Horry County Fire Department also responded to the call.  

WYFF-TV NBC 4  

Environmental agency says putting out smoldering Jasper County fire its chief goal

The leader of South Carolina's health and environmental agency says putting out a trash fire that has been smoldering for months is the department's top priority. The fire at a recycling company in Jasper County started in early June with hazardous levels of smoke particles and a voluntary evacuation of a neighborhood nearby happening earlier this month. Department of Health and Environmental Control Director Rick Toomey said at an agency board meeting Thursday the department hired an outside company to put out the fire at Able Contracting Inc. The Island Packet of Hilton Head reports that Toomey also said it can't wait for delayed federal testing of water and air samples near the fire and is paying a private firm to see if there are more hazards than just smoke.  

WLTX-TV CBS 19 COLUMBIA  

 

House fire in Mt. Pleasant caused by lightning strike

Crews responded to a structure fire from a lightning strike in Mount Pleasant on Sunday afternoon. Firefighters responded to the 1900 block of Hubbell Drive in Mount Pleasant around 4:30 P.M. according to dispatch. Mount Pleasant Fire Chief said there was minimal damage to the third floor bedroom and some water damage on the house. Firefighters had the fire under control in 20 minutes. There are no injuries reported from the fire according to Mount Pleasant Fire Chief. One firefighter got overheated but was fine after taking a break and hydrating.  

WCSC-TV CHARLESTON LIVE 5 NEWS  

 

Women plead guilty to setting Dillon County house on fire to collect insurance money

Two local women pleaded guilty on Friday on insurance fraud charges. Tracie Lee Grice, 48, of Tabor City pleaded guilty to one count of third-degree arson and one count of making false insurance claim to obtain benefits for fire loss. Heather Beach Massey, 39, of Dillon pleaded guilty to one count of presenting false claim for insurance payment, value $10,000 or more. Emergency crews responded on Aug. 22, 2018 to Grice's home in Dillon County to a fire that resulted in smoke damage to her mobile home. The next day, firefighters responded to another, more severe fire at the same property. The first fire was caused by a pot of cooking oil left on the stove. Authorities said in the second fire, curtains were intentionally set on fire by a candle.  

WMBF-TV NBC MYRTLE BEACH  

 

Sumter firefighters respond to smoke showing at Wells Fargo downtown

Sumter Fire Department responded to a call at 7:02 p.m. Friday to smoke showing from the Wells Fargo building at the corner of West Liberty and South Washington streets. Smoke could be seen rising from a corner of the bank and through the front doors facing Washington Street. According to a report from the fire department, a fire was found in the communications room on the second floor of the building. The fire was controlled by 8:25 p.m. and extensive ventilation was done. The building was cleared by the department at 11:01 p.m. Estimated loss is $750,000 in property damage and $250,000 in content. The cause is undetermined at this time, but was deemed unintentional.  

SUMTER ITEM  

Courtesy of Daily Dispatch.
Comments & Ratings
rating
  Comments