March 15 2019


North Carolina and South Carolina Fire Incidents

CarolinaFireJournal -

03/18/2019 -

Greenville Fire-Rescue awarded accreditation status

Greenville Fire-Rescue has been awarded accreditation status from the Commission on Fire Accreditation International, department officials announced on Thursday. According to a news release from the department, the accreditation "recognizes best practices and self-accountability and validates that GFR is providing residents, visitors, and the business communities with industry-leading fire protection and emergency services." The CFAI accreditation program provides a framework for fire services to set goals, develop evidence-based strategic action plans, and improve emergency services delivered, the release said.  

GREENVILLE REFLECTOR

image

First top arson investigator remembered for contributions to Charlotte Fire Department, community

VIDEO: Charlotte Fire Department arson investigators are working this week without a member who had been there for decades. Art Goldner passed away this week. The Arson Task Force has been busy recently because of two major apartment fires that investigators said were intentionally set. Goldner was the task force's first chief investigator and one of its founders. "He enjoyed it so much it didn't seem like work to him," Goldner's son, Eric Goldner, said. The task force was created in 1984. One of its first investigators was David Lowery, who would become the second chief investigator. "If you had a disagreement, you could go toe to toe with him, jaw to jaw across the table," Lowery said.  

WSOC-TV ABC 9 CHARLOTTE  

 

Update: Forsyth County commissioners postpone vote on countywide fire protection service district

The Forsyth County commissioners decided Thursday to postpone a vote on the establishment of a countywide fire-protection-service district until they know the outcome of a bill filled in the N.C. General Assembly. County officials are concerned that the legislation, House Bill 120, could eliminate the Forsyth County supplemental staffing program that supports volunteer fire departments countywide. HB120 has two main sections. State Rep. Debra Conrad, R-Forsyth, a sponsor of the bill, has said that the intention of Section 1 is to make sure that fire district tax revenue remains solely in the fire district it was collected in. Section 2, which Conrad has said will be removed from the bill, would make changes to the purposes for which districts may be established.  

WINSTON SALEM JOURNAL

 

Serve, protect, prepare: 42nd McDowell Fire, Rescue and EMS College starts

Men and women whose call it is to serve others as firefighters and emergency medical service and rescue personnel are descending on McDowell County over the next few days for training at the largest Fire, Rescue and EMS college in North Carolina. The 42nd Annual McDowell Fire, Rescue and EMS College will take place throughout McDowell and at one site in Chimney Rock through this coming Sunday. Approximately 1,050 students are registered for this year's training from cities and towns throughout the state and region according to Brad Ledbetter, who came out of retirement to continue managing the program for McDowell Technical Community College and related partners.  

MARION MCDOWELL NEWS  

 

Residents displaced after fire caused by electrical problem at northeast Charlotte home

PHOTO: Residents are displaced after officials worked to control a fire caused by an electrical problem at a home in northeast Charlotte Thursday evening. According to the Charlotte Fire Department, the fire happened at a house on Thornwood Road. Firefighters responded and began working to control the fire. The fire was controlled in 12 minutes by 23 firefighters. Officials say the fire was determined to be accidental due to an electrical problem. The Red Cross is assisting the displaced occupants. The fire caused an estimated $35,000 in damage. Officials say working smoke alarms alerted occupants to the fire.  

WBTV-TV CHANNEL 3  

 

Top Rocky Mount officer, firefighter honored

A 21-year veteran of the Rocky Mount Fire Department and a six-year veteran of the Rocky Mount Police Department have been named tops by their peers in their respective departments, as a result of balloting sponsored by the local Lions Club. Battalion Chief Tracey Drewery, 45, and Cpl. Laurie Middleswarth, 31, each received the honors at a club luncheon on Thursday at Englewood United Methodist Church. The local Lions believe while there's no way they can compensate the top firefighters and police officers for the risks they take, they hope they can let them know — with a small token of appreciation — they have the club's thanks and support. The local Lions also believe Rocky Mount is lucky to have such dedicated professionals.  

ROCKY MOUNT TELEGRAM  

 

‘Purely politics': Clover council reverses decision to hire first paid fire chief

Clover isn't bringing on a new paid chief after all. A lengthy Clover Town Council executive session Monday night led to a reversal of course on hiring a new chief. "At last night's meeting, the town council voted to change the policy directive with regard to the hiring of paid personnel at the Clover Fire Department," said Allison Harvey, town administrator. "Specifically, the vote was to amend the funding allocation such that there would only be funds to hire two paid firefighters, not a firefighter and a chief." Mayor Greg Holmes said he was disappointed with the decision. By a 4-3 vote, Council decided instead to hire two paid firefighters rather than a chief and a firefighter.  

HERALD ONLINE  

 

Follow Up: Mt. Pleasant firefighters help woman find sentimental items in debris following house fire

VIDEO: The Mt. Pleasant Fire Department said the call came in around 2:15 a.m. on Thursday from a home in a Remington Forest Community. Authorities say when crews arrived, heavy fire was coming from both units of a duplex and was also threatening units on adjacent sides of the structure. Firefighters say the fire was quickly brought under control within 25 minutes. Several occupants were displaced by the fire, but no injuries were reported. Rachael Gossage lived on the left side of the duplex. She says the fire started next door on her neighbor's side. Gossage escaped with her dog and little else. She thought she lost everything, until an act of kindness from Mt Pleasant firefighters.  

WCIV-TV ABC 4  

Courtesy of Daily Dispatch.
Comments & Ratings
rating
  Comments