Daily Incident Log – 12/05/2018


North Carolina and South Carolina Fire Incidents

CarolinaFireJournal -

12/04/2018 -

Pastor seriously hurt after home next to Mount Holly church catches fire

Firefighters said the pastor of a Mount Holly church was seriously injured after a home on the church grounds went up in flames early Tuesday. Fire crews were called to the blaze around 3 a.m. at the single-story home next to the Goshen Free Will Baptist Church on West Catawba Avenue, near Pebble Creek Drive and Moses Rhyne Drive. Gaston County Communications told Channel 9 that a man who was in the house suffered life-threatening injuries and was rushed to the hospital. Channel 9 reporter Gina Esposito learned that man is the pastor of the church, who lived in the home with his wife and dog.  

WSOC-TV ABC 9 CHARLOTTE  

image

Sugar Hill Fire Department receives state grant

 

A McDowell fire agency was one of several local, agricultural-related organizations awarded grants this year by the Corporate Mission Fund. In 2014, Carolina Farm Credit established the Corporate Mission Fund to provide grants to local, non-profit ag related organizations and scholarships to N.C. college agriculture students. 2018 marked the fourth year the Association awarded grants. Nearly 100 grant applications were received for the program in 2018, and awards were granted in the last quarter. $152,100 was awarded to 28 local organizations and 12 college students in 2018. Among the local organizations awarded include the Sugar Hill-Montford Cove Fire Department, which obtained a $1,900 grant through the Association.  

MARION MCDOWELL NEWS  

 

Wayne County woman accused of setting ex's home on fire

 

Authorities have filed charges against a North Carolina woman who they say set fire to her ex-boyfriend's home. WITN-TV in Greenville reports the Wayne County Sheriff's Office said deputies found Yolander Latham banging on the door and windows of the home on Nov. 18. Shortly after she left, deputies smelled gasoline and then saw one side of the home was on fire. They alerted the people inside and the fire was extinguished. The sheriff's office said they had been called to the home for a possible domestic dispute. Latham is charged with first-degree arson and attempted first-degree murder. She is jailed on a $100,000 secured bond.  

WTVD-TV ABC CHANNEL 11  

 

Dedicated mother and Lowcountry firefighter laid to rest

A Lowcountry hero was laid to rest Monday. Katie Dube was only 23-years-old, but made her mark as a dedicated mother and firefighter. Dube was killed in a car accident last week. A memorial service in her honor was held at the Knightsville United Methodist Church, where she was remembered with a lot of tears and laughter. "We're all here as one, one big family, so we're all going to get through this, it's hard," said David Sweet, her fiancé. He is now raising the couple's two girls, a four-year-old and two-year-old, who survived the crash. He said the outpouring of love and support is getting them through. "It's a time of hardship but we're all here as one, we're all going to get through it," said Sweet. "It's bad that my daughters don't have a mom to grow up with now, but they still got daddy here."  

WCIV-TV ABC 4

 

Greenville-Spartanburg Chief Alan Sistare calls it a career after 38 years

 

With a final lap around the airfield at Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport Friday, Alan Sistare put the finishing touches on a firefighting career spanning nearly 40 years. Over two stints at GSP, first as a firefighter and later as the on-site department's chief for the past 33 years, Sistare's history with GSP dates all the way back to 1976. But he said Thursday it all started by accident after Sistare and his wife Sharon moved to a new home in Duncan in the mid-1970s. At the time a wholesale milk delivery driver, Sistare said he showed up at a public meeting when he found out his new home was in "no man's land," - a home unprotected at the time by any sort of fire service. "So I showed up and asked what could be done about fire protection," Sistare said. He was told he could volunteer, a somewhat daunting prospect for a man who said he'd never picked up a fire hose before. Things were simpler in those days, Sistare said, with firefighters responding to the sounds of sirens.  

GOUPSTATE.COM  

 

Fire at Myrtle Beach recycling center under investigation

 

Myrtle Beach firefighters are investigating a fire which occurred at Waccamaw Recycling Center, Monday morning. According to tweets by the Myrtle Beach Fire Department, a vehicle fire at the center off Stockholder Avenue spread to a nearby scrap trailer. MBFD Lt. Jon Evans said firefighters were called to the fire at 9:35 a.m. and had the blaze out less than 15 minutes later at 9:49 a.m. The department said there were no injuries.  

WMBF-TV NBC MYRTLE BEACH  

Courtesy of Daily Dispatch.
Comments & Ratings
rating
  Comments

Issue 32.4 | Fall 2018

Past Issue Archives