Man arrested in Hickory hotel arson
Hickory police arrested a man for arson in a fire that forced the evacuation of the Red Roof Inn on Lenoir-Rhyne Boulevard Wednesday morning. Richard Hollar, 47, of Maiden was charged with first-degree arson after he returned to the room that was registered in his name at the hotel, said Investigator Andy Kerley with the Hickory Police Department.
HICKORY DAILY RECORD
Boone fire damages duplex on Camp Rock Road
Residents of a duplex on Camp Rock Road in Boone were displaced after a cooking fire Tuesday night. Chief Jimmy Isaacs of the Boone Fire Department said the fire started in the kitchen and spread into the cabinets inside the downstairs unit at 254 Camp Rock Road, located off Deerfield Road. Firefighters pulled the burnt stove and charred insulation into the front yard.
Vacant Fayetteville house on Sand Hill Road on fire for second time in year
An abandoned home on Sand Hill Road caught fire Wednesday for the second time in less than a year, Capt. Mark Keen of the Gray's Creek Fire Department said. The home, located at 2514 Sand Hill Road, was reported on fire at 1:35 p.m., Keen said. The origin of the fire appeared to be in a side room on the right hand side of the house. The fire quickly spread to the attic, Keen said.
SOUTH CAROLINA INCIDENT LOG
Greenville firefighters sue district for back pay
A group of firefighters who work for Parker Sewer and Fire District have sued their department claiming it owes them back pay. The lawsuit was filed in Greenville County. Originally, four firefighters joined the suit, but now more than a dozen have joined the case. David Rothstein, the firefighters' attorney, said the problems came to light when pay procedures recently changed. He said the changes showed the firefighters were not properly paid for overtime in the past.
WHNS-TV FOX 21
Burton firefighters warn about toxic fires
Garbage burning in Burton is concerning firefighters not only because the fires spread quickly, but they're emitting toxic smoke. The "situation is becoming dangerous," said a news release Wednesday from Burton Fire District spokesman Dan Byrne. The Burton district put out at least five such fires in July, in which synthetic materials such as plastic, paint and cardboard were b urned, according to Byrne. The thick black smoke from the fires can cause illness, Byrne said.
Bill Johnson retires from Georgetown City Fire Department after 26 years
After 26 years as a member of the Georgetown City Fire Department, Bill Johnson — the department's assistant chief, also known as "the voice of Georgetown" — has retired. It was news that has been difficult to talk about by Chief Joey Tanner because the two have worked together during Johnson's entire time at t he department.
Goose Creek City Council finds home for new fire station
Goose Creek City Council members agreed to move forward with plans for building two new fire stations. This means city staff can draw plans and begin work with architectural firms. The first station will be a new headquarters with a possible training area nearby. The second is a new sub-station, which would be the third fire station in the city.
GOOSE CREEK GAZETTE