Local Firefighters Spring into Action at Davidson College
|DAVIDSON, N.C. – On Thursday, April 14, 2011 at 3:47 p.m., the Davidson Fire Department, with mutual aid from the Cornelius Fire Department, were dispatched to the Sentelle Dormitory at Davidson College for a report of smoke on the fourth floor. Davidson’s Engine 3 was on the scene within 3 minutes of the alarm. The occupants of the building had already been safely evacuated.
An investigation noted heavy smoke on the fourth floor of the residence hall. Firefighters deployed equipment and hoses around the structure while the source of the smoke was identified.
Further investigation showed that the smoke was from a malfunctioning air handling fan in one of the dorm suites. The power to the fan was disconnected and the smoke was removed from the building using the fire department’s smoke removal equipment. Davidson College maintenance personnel were also on site to handle the malfunctioning fan motor.
No classes were disrupted during the incident and no students were displaced. There were no injuries reported, and all fire department and emergency service personnel were clear of the scene at 4:55 p.m.
There were a total of 25 firefighters on this incident. In addition to the responding firefighters, 4 Engine Companies, 2 Ladder Companies, 1 Rescue Company and 1 Operation’s Vehicle were on site. The Mecklenburg County Fire Marshal’s Office also responded with 2 investigators. The Davidson Fire Department would like to thank those agencies that responded with assistance.
Comments & Ratings