Daily Incident Log – 06/07/2018


North Carolina and South Carolina Fire Incidents

CarolinaFireJournal -

06/07/2018 -

Greensboro Firefighters Asking for $15 Hourly Pay

 

Greensboro firefighters are asking for a pay raise for those who don't already make $15 an hour. Right now, the starting salary for Greensboro firefighters is $13 an hour. According to the Professional Firefighters of Greensboro, each firefighter works 56 hours a week, but they're only getting paid 13 hours of overtime per month. Nick Loflin, Executive Board Member of the Professional Firefighters of Greensboro says, "Those hours should be valued at the exact same amount as every other hour that every other employee works in the city of Greensboro, cause it costs just as much to my family to be away as it does for anybody." We reached out to city council about a possible raise. Councilwoman Sharon Hightower says the city will not be able to gives raises to all firefighters to make sure they're getting paid $15 an hour.  

WFMYNEWS2.COM  

image

Grill fire closes Wilmington Waffle House on Market Street

 

A Wilmington Waffle House is closed after a fire in the restaurant on Wednesday night. The Wilmington Fire Department responded to reports of a fire at the Waffle House at 5041 Market Street. A WFD email stated there were moderate flames showing from a grill when firefighters arrived. The fire was confined to the cooking appliance, according to the fire department. WFD said it was an accidental fire that originated under a griddle. The store will remain closed until repairs are made. WFD didn't release damage estimates. There were no injuries to fire personnel, civilians, or employees.  

WECT-TV CHANNEL 6  

 

Mooresville Fire-Rescue aids Statesville after bleach spill

Iredell County officials say they have contained about 455 gallons of chlorine bleach that spilled near the intersection of Nixon Road and Shumaker Drive on Wednesday morning. A truck operated by Water Guard Incorporated, based in Wilson, was carrying bleach with a 15 percent solution of chlorine when a stress crack in the tank allowed the chemical to spill around 8:45 a.m., according to Matt McAlpin, assistant fire chief for Ebenezer Volunteer Fire Department. About 300 gallons had been pumped back out of the ground during cleanup, officials say, and a cleanup crew is expected to treat the ground to remove the rest. Members of Mooresville Fire-Rescue's Hazmat, or Hazardous Materials Response Team, were called out to the scene to assist. There is no threat to public or environmental health, McAlpin said.  

MOORESVILLE TRIBUNE  

 

Rowan County firefighters rescue injured dog trapped in storm drain pipe

 

An injured dog was trapped in a storm drain pipe under a driveway. That little pup is now safe after being rescued by firefighters in Rowan County. The dog is shaken, scared and in severe pain. "Right now, we have him on pain meds and are making him as comfortable as we can," said Rowan County Animal Enforcement Officer Logan Horne. The dog's name is Max and he's recovering at the Rowan County Animal Rescue Shelter after quite the traumatic experience. "My guess would be it got hit by a car and ran into the hole where it felt more comfortable," said Horne. "And curled up in there until we luckily found it." Rowan County Animal Rescue was called out to Cedar Drive after a resident there heard the dog whimpering underneath the driveway.  

WJZY FOX 46 CHARLOTTE  

 

Car found submerged in Pitt County creek

 

A car was found submerged in a Pitt County creek Thursday morning. Authorities say a 1990 Ford Mustang was discovered in Kitten Creek, which is off of NC-222 near Dilda Church Road in Fountain, just before 6:30 a.m. Highway Patrol trooper Adam Collins says no one was inside the vehicle when they arrived. After an investigation, they believe that the driver went left of center while traveling east on NC-222, ran off the road and overturned in the creek. Collins says there are no license plates on the car. They believe no one was injured in the accident. At this time, it's unclear what time the car ran into the creek. Fountain Fire Department and Fountain EMS assisted on scene. The Highway Patrol is still investigating.  

WITN-TV NBC 7 GREENVILLE  

 

Marine veteran doesn't want praise for catching baby thrown from burning Anderson building

An 11-month-old boy was thrown from the second-story window of a burning building and into the arms of a neighbor waiting below on Tuesday night in Anderson, South Carolina. The baby had a few scratches and bruises but was otherwise fine, according to Fire Chief Michael Guest of the Anderson Fire Department. The baby's rescuer is a former Marine, according to Travis Poore, a spokesman for the Anderson Fire Department said. The rescuer has said he does not want praise or attention. "He said he just did what he had to do," Guest said. After the baby was safe, the infant's mother jumped from a second-story window. She is also safe. A video of the rescue shows flames leaping from an adjacent apartment during the rescue.  

WLTX CBS 19  

 

Horry County Fire Rescue responds, assists to several overnight fires

 

First responders on the Grand Strand had a busy night, battling several fires in just a few hours span. According to tweets from Horry County Fire Rescue, firefighters assisted North Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue with two house fires. The first was around 1:30 a.m at 4273 Arabella Way in Little River. Fire crews say there was a large fire, coming through the roof of the home when they arrived on scene. They say no one was hurt. As firefighters from both departments worked that scene, North Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue received a call for an RV fire in Little River.  

WPDE-TV CAROLINALIVE.COM  

 

Fire Chief: Easley apartment damaged in early afternoon fire

 

Officials with City of Easley Fire Department said a fire damaged an apartment Wednesday afternoon. Fire Chief Butch Womack said crews responded to an apartment in Riverstone Court in Easley around 1:11 p.m. for a reports of a structure fire. Upon arrival, Womack said light smoke could be seen from the roof area. Crews were quickly able to confine the fire to the stove, said Womack, however the kitchen area sustained moderate fire and smoke damage. Womack said overhaul operations were conducted to ensure that the fire was confined to the kitchen. Fire officials said no other units sustained any damage. American Red Cross responded to assist the occupants with personal needs. No injuries were reported in the fire.  

WHNS-TV FOX 21  

Courtesy of Daily Dispatch.
Comments & Ratings
rating
  Comments

Issue 32.4 | Spring 2018

Keeping First Responders Safe
Ideas to improve safety on the job, leadership, serving our community and keeping the desire to serve others...
 



Come out to the NC Transportation Museum's Fire Truck Festival June 23rd, 2018!