Reynolds Volunteer Fire Department chief killed after car overturns, catches fire on I-40 in Iredell County
A North Carolina fire chief was killed after a car overturned and caught fire on I-40 in Iredell County Sunday. Chief Richard Sales, 52, of Reynolds Volunteer Fire Department was killed in the crash. He was on his way to accept an award on behalf of the fire department at Child Passenger Safety Conference in Wilmington when the crash happened. The crash occurred on I-40 west of Statesville near Old Mountain Road exit around 10 a.m. The car passed through the eastbound traffic where it crossed the median and overturned onto Wing Drive, officials say. The car caught fire after overturning, killing Sales. Sales had been the fire chief for the last 10 years, but he served all positions in the organization. He succeeded his father who was the chief at the fire department before him. Chief Ryan Cole of the Skyland Fire Department said that Sales will leave a lasting impact on the fire service in western North Carolina and across the state.
WBTV-TV CHANNEL 3
Navy veteran dies after large explosion in his Nixonton garage
A Navy veteran died after a large explosion in his North Carolina garage, according to WAVY. T.C. Oneyear was pronounced dead at the scene of his home in the Nixonton community in Pasquotank County on Saturday morning. Oneyear was carrying a candle into his garage, where there was apparently a buildup of gas, according to deputies. There was a large explosion that knocked him back after he opened the garage door. The explosion damaged his home and garage, breaking windows and melting siding. Nobody else was hurt. "I loved the hell out of the guy," said Dan Serik, a friend of Oneyear's and spokesman for Post 6060 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, according to the Daily Advance. "He's going to be missed."
WGHP-TV FOX 8
Multiple agencies respond to fatal Hubert house fire
Multiple emergency response teams are responding to a fatal house fire in Hubert. The call came in around 8:20 a.m. on Monday, Swansboro Fire Chief Mark Tessing told NewsChannel 12. Multiple agencies responded to the scene, including Swansboro Fire Department and Bear Creek Fire Department. NewsChannel 12's Merrilee Moore arrived on scene shortly after 10:00 a.m. reporting that the fire appeared to be out, but was still smoking. Major Chris Thomas with Onslow County Sheriff's Office confirmed that there is one fatality. SBI is on the scene investigating.
WCTI-TV ABC 12 NEW BERN
Mother, two children injured in west Charlotte house fire
A west Charlotte community is devastated now that a family of three is in the hospital after their apartment caught fire Sunday morning. The three people, including two children, were taken to the hospital after the fire. The fire started around 2 a.m. Sunday morning in the 4100 block of Rose Thorn Place. It was a neighbor who put in the 911 call that led fire crews to Pressley Ridge Apartments Investigators determined the fire was an accident that started from food that was left cooking on the stove. More than 36 firefighters were sent to put out the flames and were able to control the fire in 20 minutes, officials say. Neighbors said it felt like hours watching fire crews battle the flames. Michelle Fields said she wishes she could unsee all the events that happened after the apartment that sits right across from her went up in flames. "It's hard, it's heart breaking," Fields said.
WBTV-TV CHANNEL 3
1 injured, several people without home after apartment fire in Burlington
One person was taken to the hospital and six others are out of a home after an apartment fire in Burlington on Saturday night. Crews were called to Colony Apartments at 2008 South Mebane St. shortly after 9:45 p.m. and had the fire under control within about 45 minutes. Two people were removed from the building. One was taken to the hospital with critical injuries and the other was treated at the scene. Eight apartment units were damaged after the fire started in the the kitchen of a first floor unit, according to a fire official. The fire was ruled accidental in nature. About $500,000 in damage was reported to the apartment complex. Several crews battled the fire from different departments.
WGHP-TV FOX 8
Fire chief: One person made it out, one person died in fire that destroyed Anderson Co. mobile home
The Anderson County coroner is investigating a deadly fire in Honea Path Monday morning. Anderson County Deputy Coroner Don McCown said he was called to the scene of a fire on Todd Road where a fatality had been reported. Dispatchers said Friendship and Craytonville Fire Departments were called to battle the fire at a mobile home just before 5 a.m. The fire was fully involved when firefighters arrived at the scene. Anderson County Fire Chief Jimmy Sutherland said two people were in the home when the fire broke out. One person made it out and one person was found dead inside once firefighters knocked down the flames. Sutherland said the body was badly burned in the fire.
WMBF-TV NBC MYRTLE BEACH
Fire destroys house on New Cut Rd. near Inman
A fire destroyed a house near Inman, Sunday night. According to the Inman Community Fire Department, the house along New Cut Road was abandoned at the time of the fire. The fire broke out around 9:15pm. Nobody was hurt in the fire that happened near Inman Road. The Spartanburg County Fire Marshal will be called to investigate the cause of the fire. Holly Springs and Inman City Fire Departments also responded to the fire.
WSPA-TV CBS 7
Firefighters Battle House Fire on East Bay Street in Charleston
Crews with the Charleston Fire Department battled an intense blaze at a home on East Bay Street early Monday morning. Southbound lanes of East Bay Street were shut down for several hours between Chapel and Drake Streets as crews worked to put out the fire. Officials did confirm that no one lived at the home. However, crews told us they did have an issue double checking if anyone was actually inside because the home was simply unsafe for crews to access. Our team arrived at the scene about 20 minutes behind firefighters and could see flames shooting through the roof of the abandoned home.
Columbia apartment complex faces third fire in three months
The Briargate Condominiums on Old Manor Rd in Columbia caught fire for the third time in three months as crews battled the latest fire at the apartments. Officials say 12 apartments were affected and the fire was accidental, beginning on the second floor of the complex. Shantavia White, who lives in the apartment building says her puppy knocked over a lit candle in her living room. "I saw fire," White said. "My couch was literally in flames. It just started getting bigger and bigger." When White saw the flames, she went next door to warn neighbors and called 911. White said she is grateful that no one is hurt and is happy her and her puppy made it out alive. Crews responded to the 24-apartment complex just before 3:30 Sunday afternoon. "Only 12 were affected because we do have a fire wall so it did stop the fire from spreading," Aubrey Jenkins, Columbia Fire Chief, said
WIS-TV COLUMBIA CHANNEL 10
House fire in downtown Charleston remains under investigation
The cause of a house fire in downtown Charleston on Saturday night remains under investigation. The Charleston County Consolidated Dispatch Center received a 911 call just before 11 p.m. Saturday about a reported structure fire on Hanover Street, according to Chief Fire Marshal Mike Julazadeh. Charleston and Saint Andrews Fire Departments, Charleston County EMS, and Charleston PD were dispatched to the incident. Emergency personnel arrived in less than three minutes from the time of dispatch and encountered a significant volume of fire venting from the two-story duplex. Firefighters conducted a coordinated effort to quickly attack the fire while searching for occupants. Emergency personnel worked to gain control as the fire spread into the walls and progressed into the attic space. Firefighters contained the blaze to the primary structure.
WMBF-TV NBC MYRTLE BEACH